26 March 2010

I Love You, But I'll Cut You

Here's a warm-down from yesterday. :)

When I took life drawing at San Diego Community College in '97 my instructor, Nancy L. asked me "Sean, what do you want from this class?" I told her, "Nancy, I wanna be able to draw comic books, but I need to learn how to draw legs. I don't wanna stop at the pelvis anymore." Nancy said "Ok, let's see what you can do."

As I started she immediately stopped me, and said, "Sean, ok, I see what's going on here. You're trying to draw what you think you know, not what you see. You can't draw something you don't know how to."

Nancy changed my life forever drawing people. She taught me the shortcuts to looking at the human form, and I blame her in a loving way for showing me how to draw legs because I never wanted to stop, and I still don't! HAHAHAHA

Nancy let me be me as an artist, and guided me to having the confidence in my choice. I wish there were more Nancies in this world!

She gave me hope.

Hope y'all digs!

14 comments:

Fabian said...

Yes, man, we need more Nancies around! She did gave you a big lesson and now i am receiving that from you, she is right!!! :) Great post Sean!! Not only because of your art but also for your story too! :)
Have a great weekend!

NICOLAS P. VILLARREAL said...

These are amazing Sean, thank you for sharing them with us!

Salud!

ps:...I got the same bogus advice about using reference too!

my.rumpunch said...

lovely work, and attractive too.

Manoj a menon said...

sean...

wish i had a teacher like nancy..
thansk for sharing experience..
one hellova sketch btw.

kudos

manu.

Abz said...

i like this character

R A B said...

really loving this, feels extra nice...like the chunkiness to her legs and little hints of red in knee. quality

Nathan H. Boyd said...

Dude! Sean! I feel the same way about drawing legs that you did. One of the things I love most about your art is how awesome of a job you do with legs.

A very inspiring post. Thanks.

Unknown said...

very nice! and you says you cant draw womenz. this girl is badzass!

Louise Smythe said...

fantastic! love these colors.

jriggity said...

great story and great piece.

jriggity

Connecting Singles said...

Hey that's true. We always try to draw what you think you know, not what you see. I got the same bogus advice about using reference too!

Dav said...

yes yes...fantastic your blog, Nice ilustrations!!!
Congratulations

Saludos amigo

Matt Duce said...

Hi sean

Love your drawings, i recently discovered spectacular spiderman, then your work...was inspired by the show and thought i'd let u know im gonna do a practice piece of animation with spidey in 3D...heres my blog with a pic of him:

http://animatt.blogspot.com/

cheers

matt

Anonymous said...

There is not much better for a young artist than a really great teacher. I had a teacher that opened my mind and widened my approach to drawing in a similar way.

Awesome Sketch as usual.